Instagram Food Photos



I'm writing this to remind myself later on, in case I forgot what make a photo 'good looking' or in this case, "instagramable" :P and that this was not endorsement!

So, a couple days ago, me and some friends at the office try out a new healthy catering. Since the food at their company's pic looks very pretty, we decided that perhaps we can experiment some shoot with it. By lunch time, that was exactly what we did despite being starving.

I guess at this point, after having taken lots of shot, I can understand a bit about essential thing to make a good looking pic.
1. Firstly, you will need a good spot with good lighting. We found it on the third floor of the office that there's a huge window and all we need to do is put a white table next to it. One source of light (window) and it'll help create shadow to fill the need of life and drama.

2. A very good camera hahha.. really camera does make a difference --'. There are things that your phone just can't do justice compared to a Canon DSLR.

3. Color, The food has speak for itself. Lots of red, green, yellow -> all great colors for food photography.

4. I started with some simple shot: a white background and a 'good looking' hand grabbing the salad jar.  The jar become the focal point of the pic.


4. Composition. we try playing with round objects, Using some fabric to add dimension. Also to make it unique, we try take a shot with a phone in it, to make it look like the phone is taking the shot. 


5. Then Idea came. Why not just put the phone down and to emphasize the "branding" of the catering?


6. I ordered sandwhich, and no matter how I wanted to take the shot of the sandwhich laying down, it doesn't look "tempting" enough. + we don't have any plates or other props to support it. So, I think why not just zoom in close up at the food while a friend of mind is holding it as if she's going to eat it. Now this looks yummy. :P


7. The angle and spot for the prev photo is perfect! It got the light and created such effect to give life to the photos. So, we try using other food as well. In this pic, I have to take it from a higher angle. Also, the position of the bowl got to be where the salad is not at the bottom. 


8. Graphic elements. One of my friend is wearing stripes t-shirt. It gives great impact for the pic. I guess coz it guides the eyes to the food.


9. Try it with another food, but this time with some action where you're gna eat the food. My friend's graphic shirt also give great impact for the pic. :)


10. Then at last, I wanted to take some pic with the packaging of the food. I think of a concept where while eating the food, the card behind tell the story. Emphasizing on it's branding.



Had lots of fun taking pic for this shots. To better pictures in the future *cheers*
I sincerely hope we get endorsed for this hahahhaha...


Photographer: Eunike
Food Styling: Fenny, Evlin, Clara.

Comments