Athens - Twas a warm sunny day in Ancient Greece


Greeeecceeeeeee!!!! If you're a fan of The big bang theory, surely you'd remember the episode where Sheldon was teaching Penny Physics. It all started with "It was a warm sunny evening in Ancient Greece..." Somehow that sentence sort of stuck in my brain as I was thinking about my Greek trip. I traveled there in early June to avoid the peak touristy season (July/August) - still there were quite a lot of people already, so I can't imagine how crowded it'll be in the peak season. Either way, it was pretty warm already, thankfully not too hot, hence the title. :P 

My Grecian trip is consist of Athens and Paros (one of the Cyclades islands). I wanted to visit Athens sooo badly ever since I visited Rome. When I saw the ruins in Rome, how much it shows an ancient civilisation, how remarkable they are, I couldn't image how Athens is! So, me coming to Athens, wanting to see Acropolis, needles to say I have high hopes! .... well.... It fell, hahha... it seems that in Athens, mostly are ... ruins... literally... LOL. But that doesn't say that Athens doesn't have its own charms. In the day, venturing around the old ruins can be pretty tiring and perhaps boring (unless you're soo into archeology). Going to the museums, and venturing through the old town is really charming. However... the real magic started when the sun sets... some lights were turn on, the night life started, the city become rather romantic! I felt like I'm in some movie! 

The city of Athens seems to be consisted of tonsss of hills, so it's no wonder that going from one place to another means passing through or going around a hill, I find the topography of the city rather amusing. If you want to visit all the archeological ruins, I think having a couple of days will be better, it too large to be finished in one day. Also because going around will require you to walk mostly. Public transport in Athens can be rather confusing - there's no schedule-ish (in comparison to Germany) for the buses, so the most reliable one for me seems to be the Metro. The trains just seems rather old. I took the Metro from and to the Airport. As well as going to the Ferry port to the islands, Metro all the way.

Another thing I didn't expect about Greece is that it's a heaven for shopping! I came expecting wanting to buy a leather sandals, instead, I bought myself a cute leather bag! (Supporting local economy! - or so I hope 😅) They also have a hugeee antique market, old books, and so many more, truly satisfying one's inner hedonistic holiday splurge! 😂

Food in Athens are rather cheap for European price, and I couldn't help but felt rather healthy too with all those Greek and Caesar salads. They also have plenty of seafood as well, since located near the sea. For the salads and lamb souvlakis, I love it! But can't really say so for the seafood, but when it comes to seafood, I'm bias to my hometown (Makassar) already, so yeah.. hahhaa, Greeks one are rather bland for my palate. (Sorrryyyyyy) 











loving the Aubergine salad!


I got a free desert from the resto (the owner is sooo friendly!) This is surprisingly very delightful and not too sweet like most greek desert I know
 

I happened to pass this resto, the theme/name is: Alice in wonderland, are you interested to dine there? :) 




While in Greece, I need to find my inner goddess! Hello Nike! (from my name, got it? ;) )




 








 







Comments