Silver Lining in the Mist: Derawan Trip Part 1



I Went to Derawan!! I finally stepped my foot onto the land of Borneo! *excited* One of my dream is to visit every big island of Indonesia and since i've been to Java, Sulawesi, Sumatra (well, belitung is sumatra), Bali, Lombok, and now Borneo a.k.a Kalimantan!

Now, planning for this trip is no joke --', me and my friend got to match our schedule, dates, trip, travel style, budget, etc. Usually I like to make my own travel itinerary, but since Derawan is a bit in secluded, I wasn't dare enough to take that risk. Thus, I decided to pay for tour. :)

Now, this was where the series of 'misfortunate' happen. Days before our travel date, apparently some irresponsible selfish people (/corporation) decided that it is time to burn the forest. This caused areas in Kalimantan become full of smoke fog, including our destination. We were worried wether we should postponed or cancel since there were news that no plane could fly in or out of airport in Berau. We decided to just go ahead regardless. 



First Day


Woke up very early in the morning (3 AM) in order to catch our 5.55 AM flight from Jakarta to Balikpapan. In order to reach Derawan from Jakarta, the route provided is to take the airplane from Jakarta - Balikpapan, transit for some hours, then take the next flight either Balikpapan - Berau or Balikpapan - Tarakan.
The original route suggested is Jkt-balikpapan-Berau, from berau you'll travel with car for approx. 2-2.5 hours to Tj. Batu from which you'll take a boat to Derawan for 30 min. Our travel agent told us to take this route for the fee for boat is cheaper even though the plane ticket is more expensive. The other route (Jkt-Balikpapan - Tarakan) though simpler since there's no road trip required, but will require you to sit on the boat for at least 2.5 hours if the wave is good. 

After 2 hours of morning flight, we arrive in Sepinggan Airport in Balikpapan at 9-ish. Me and my friend pretty much had the same reaction for the airport. I'll let the picture of the airport awe you. hehehe..





We circled around the airport to kill time before our next flight which was suppose to be at 11-ish. 
As we went to our gate to wait for boarding call. Our flight got delayed due to weather condition. It got delayed "until further notice". We couldn't blame the airplane of course for the delay. It is because that the smoke fog in Berau was very bad that eyesight level is very narrow thus dangerous for plane to fly. So we waited.. while searching for another option. At this point I was very happy with Lion Air, they gave us solution where we can re-route our flight to Tarakan in the event the Berau flight got cancelled. So I called my tour to let them know the possibility of flight change. 

After waiting for a couple more hours, all flight to Berau got cancelled. First it was Garuda then Lion Air. We immediately took the re-route flight to Tarakan thanking Lion for booking our seat beforehand and gave us no additional charge for re-routing. I was very surprised by Lion's quick service given their 'bad reputation' in handling passanger. We then waited for a few more hours for the next flight to Tarakan is leaving at 3 (almost 4) PM. 

We arrived in Tarakan in the almost 5 PM in the afternoon. Leaving no chance to go to Derawan for the boat are not dare enough to leave the harbour to Tarakan at that hour. The tour has informed me beforehand as well that we would be able to go to Derawan in the morning of the second day. Fortunately for me, I have a relative in Tarakan. After knowing our flight got cancelled and re-route to Tarakan, I called my auntie immediately and ask for help :P. When we arrived in Tarakan, my uncle picked us up, drove us to the hotel, took us to dinner, and give a little night city tour hahha. 


Second Day

Harbour





I was told by the PIC on Tarakan to be on time at the harbour by 6.30 in the morning. We just started to depart at 7.30 AM, yeay time stretch!! Hahha.. -__-"  There were lots of people who want to visit Derawan, there was a group consist of lots of old people and were really hard to handle --'. Me and my friend called the group as "grup rempong" hehehe.. Apparently that group has caused so many uncomfort towards other member of the tour. No wonder we started late at the beginning --'. 

We get into the boat which was pretty small, it could fit in 16-20 people, you can imagine why the old people got scared hahha. Knowing that I will get motion sickness, I sat nearby the open air at the back of the boat. So the journey begin... And After passing 3 hours of ride, my boat stopped in middle of the ocean...... 


Okay... what is this? aren't we suppose to be there already? it's been 3 hours and why are we stopping? the wave started to cause few people nauseated and puked. The boat then started moving but just circling in the same spot.. GREAT, turns out the boat's GPS was broken... anddd, added with the heavy foggy smoke, we can't see anything! Wonderful is it? hahha.. 

What happened next? well, while the other boat choose to wait for another boat to come by, our boat's GPS miraculously work again and we sailed leaving the other boat. The fog was really bad, that in the end it took 5 hours for us to arrive at Derawan. Finally Landdddddd.... soilll...

I had to calm myself down for a while due to nausea, then we walk a bit around the island. Took lots of pic and wefie :P
Our 'original' cottage
Our Cottage Later on



We went back to our cottage and ate lunch while discovering..

Our lunch place where we spotted.....
Tortoise!!

Turtlyyyy, swimming so peacefully *zen mode*.
Looking at it swimming, I can only hope good things for the rest of this trip.

*to be continue*

Click here for part 2 ;)



Comments