Riga (Latvia) - An unexpected surprise!

 


In August 2021 I went on a Baltic trip for 6 days. In this trip I traveled to 3 countries: Latvia, Estonia, and Finland. As an Indonesian, I know very little about the Baltics region, let alone the countries alongside. So, knowing that in Summer, most Europeans love going to the southern to enjoy the sun, I went north to get away from it! :P Also to get away from swarms of people keeping in mind that it is still during the Pandemic time. I was already vaccinated when I took this trip, and also brought tons of masks with me. 

I took a flight from Düsseldorf to Riga, the capital of Latvia. Arrived there almost quite late in the evening, I went straight to my hostel #cheapaccomodation in the old town part of the city. I bought a little dinner from a nearby CircleK, and walk around a bit before resting. The next day I walk around the old town part and before I know it, I sort of 'finish' it already in about 1 hour - it's a pretty small area, so after eating breakfast, I walk a bit farther away from the old town. I visited the local market and was blown away by the cheap price! Then I ate lunch at restaurant nearby, eating local food which blows me away. The food in this region I have never tasted before, so some of them felt pretty new such as the pink cold soup. However, since I love tasting new dishes, this town has surprised me when it comes to their cuisine! 

After lunch, I walk north to venture more about the city, I must say the city architecture feels like a lot of Hansastadt (German harbour city) but with Russian influence on some of the buildings. Pretty interesting! It also feels that a lot of part of the city/country is rather poor in comparison to other European nation. The next day when I took the bus to Tallinn, its neighbouring country, along the way, I can feel the contrast of the economy between the two nations. 








Potato dumplings, it is said to be Lithuanian food, and since I didn't visit Lithuania, what better way to get a taste of the country? 


The pink soup! it's a cold soup from beetroot! I don't like beetroot normally, but this one is surprisingly pleasant to my palate! Even though one might say taste like drinking salad dressing. 

oh, apparently the Baltic regions is famous for their rye bread. They're are not wrong! These are some of the best rye bread I've had in my life!!!!

Look at the price!!! So cheap!


Lebanese breakfast at a resto nearby 









Comments